Who We Are
NTEU is widely known as a smart, tough organization, well-respected for its knowledge of federal employee issues. And for its determination to work with federal agencies, with Congress, and in the courts to protect, promote and expand the rights of those it represents. For 69 years, NTEU has been driven by the principle that every federal employee should be treated with dignity and respect. In that time, NTEU has grown to represent some 150,000 bargaining unit employees in 31 federal agencies and departments. NTEU members are represented by an experienced and professional staff in Washington, D.C., seven field offices across the nation and highly trained, dedicated local leaders in their workplaces.Type your paragraph here.
• Program Support Center
• Substance Abuse and Mental
Health Services Administration
Department of Homeland Security
• Bureau of Customs and
• Transportation Security
Department of the Interior
• National Park Service
Department of Justice
• Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives
Department of the Treasury
• Bureau of Engraving and Printing
• Bureau of the Public Debt
NTEU Chapter 46
1100 Commerce Street
Dallas, TX 75242
4050 Alpha Road
Farmers Branch, TX
• Departmental Offices
• Financial Management Service
• Internal Revenue Service
• Tax and Trade Bureau
Environmental Protection Agency
Federal Communications Commission
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
Federal Election Commission
National Credit Union Administration
Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Securities and Exchange Commission
Social Security Administration
• Office of Disability Adjudication and Review
• Farm Service Agency
• Food and Nutrition Service
Department of Commerce
• Patent and Trademark Office
Department of Energy
Department of Health &
• Administration for Children
• Food and Drug Administration
• Health Resources and Services
• National Center for Health Statistics
• Office of the Secretary/
Administration on Aging
A History of Success
Here is a sampling of NTEU’s proud and successful history—from courtroom and legislative victories, to significant contractual and workplace improvements to precedent-setting arbitration wins and much more:
• Won $533 million in back pay for federal employees when an appeals court ruled against President Nixon’s 1972 pay raise deferral.
• Fought for passage of a bill that made permanent a child care tuition assistance program for federal employees.
• Aggressively pushed for Flexible Spending Accounts for federal employees and an initiative allowing the use of pretax income to pay health care premiums.
• Secured an expansion of the ability to contribute to or modify contributions to the federal Thrift Savings Plan.
• Fought successfully for a dental-vision plan for federal workers.
• Won the right for federal employees to earn compensatory time for business travel outside normal work hours.
• Won thousands of dollars in back pay for Customs and Border Protection Officers forced to work an unpaid sixth day of training.
• Won a federal court ruling that employees have the right to review promotion files.
• Fought for, and secured, reforms to the 1939 Hatch Act that expanded political and legislative action rights of federal employees.
• Negotiated a precedent-setting employee salary and benefit package with the FDIC.
• Secured priority promotion consideration for 1,400 IRS employees in the largest case of its kind ever in the federal sector.
• Won three federal court decisions declaring portions of the Department of Homeland Security personnel rules illegal.
• Beat back an IRS attempt to close dozens of its Taxpayer Assistance Centers nationwide.
• Won a first-ever court victory against an agency’s illegal use of appropriated funds to give federal jobs to a contractor without giving employees the chance to compete.
The Voice of Federal Employees
On Capitol Hill
NTEU is leading the fight for fair pay and benefits and for laws that improve the quality of work life for federal employees. Full-time lobbyists work with NTEU leaders and members across the country to educate elected officials on federal employee issues.
At the Bargaining Table
Known for the most innovative contracts in the federal sector, NTEU’s bargaining expertise is reflected in such gains as alternative work schedules, flexiplace, transit subsidies, performance awards and much more. Skilled negotiators fight for local and national agreements that advance federal employee rights and benefits.
In the Courts
NTEU has a history of establishing major legal principles and winning millions of dollars in back pay for federal workers not receiving proper compensation for overtime work. In one instance, it pursued a case for 22 years, winning special rate employees more than $178 million in back pay. In another, it won $533 million in back pay for delayed pay raises.
In the Workplace
Experienced attorneys working in offices around the country serve as the direct connection between NTEU chapters and the National Office, and represent members in grievance arbitrations, unfair labor practice hearings, and more. Highly-trained stewards work to resolve employee issues at the lowest possible level and negotiate over local changes to working conditions.
In the Media
Skilled communications specialists take the message of the importance of federal workers to the media and produce publications—both print and electronic—that keep members updated on a timely basis. At the local level, chapters keep members informed of issues via deskdrops, e-mail, web sites, newsletters, meetings and more.
Our Local Chapter
Candis M. Cardenas is our newly elected Chapter President. NTEU Chapter 46 serves the North Texas Area for IRS employees. We represent IRS employees assigned to the Dallas Metroplex along with employees stationed as far east as Longview and west to Amarillo. The area PODs we represent are below:
•Abilene, Amarillo, Dallas, DeSoto, Farmers Branch, Fort Worth--Fossil Creek/Stratum, Forth Worth-Downtown, Longview, Lubbock, Midland, San Angelo, Tyler, and Wichita Falls
Union Office Locations
NTEU Chapter 46 has two union offices to better service its members. Our headquarters office is located in downtown Dallas and our secondary office is located in Farmers Branch.